Monday, April 29, 2013

A letter to a missing husband

          Text and pix by Dushiyanthini Kanagasabapathipillai

 
An emotional letter to her missing husband




Cartoonist Prageeth Eknalygoda went missing on 24th January 2010. His wife Sandya Eknalygoda has been tirelessly searching for her beloved husband since his abduction. Sandya and her two teenage sons have no source of income to take care of their daily needs.

After three years of endless waiting for Prageeth’s  return, Sandya Eknalygoda has decided to write an emotional letter to her missing husband Prageeth Eknalygoda, explaining all the difficulties she continues to face as a mother, woman and a single parent without the means to support her children.

More than 1,000 days have passed since Prageeth went missing. I have been a housewife throughout my life, and after he disappeared, I was forced to bear the burden of my family. We are facing enormous financial constraints. My sons are growing, and I have to take care of their education. I am without a permanent income.
I feel helpless and sad, when I am unable to buy new clothes for my sons during Sinhala and Tamil New Yea or any gift for their birthdays. Besides the anguish of being without a husband and his support for three years, I am saddened by the fact that I lack the capacity to find the resources to host another exhibition of Prageeth’s cartoons” says a tearful Sandya Eknalygoda.

Moved by the little support she has received, she has carefully collected all the cards sent in solidarity by people from around the world, laminated and pasted them on their modest living room wall, as a tribute to their love and concern.


Sandya Eknalygoda writing an emotional letter to her missing husband Prageeth Eknalygoda


Sri Lankan cartoonist Prageeth Eknalygoda has been missing since 24th of January 2010


Sanjay Eknalygoda, the eldest son of Prageeth Eknalygoda looks on as his mother writes a letter to her missing husband, and his missing father


Sandya Eknalygoda continues her struggle to search


Collection of cards sent in solidarity


News featured on Ceylon Today

The original story was published on Ceylon Today of 26th of April 2013. Please click http://www.ceylontoday.lk/59-30726-news-detail-a-letter-to-a-missing-husband.html

Courtesy: CEYLON TODAY 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home